Thursday 8 December 2011

I wonder - car or bicycle!!

You have it on authority that there are those who consider Japanese cars a waste of time and probably equate them to bicycles...............and this is how it all happened!!


A funny thing happened to me & my wife recently that reminded me about the insensitivity of the human being when we were invited for a wedding planning meeting of a sister to a friend.


The sister is a Kenyan living and working in the diaspora and was back in the country to finalize and solemnize her wedding to her beau. The meeting was at the food court of an upmarket mall in Nairobi and was slated to commence from 6.00 pm but as usual by the time all those invited had appeared, sat down and ordered either a drink or a meal it was approaching 6.45 pm. Other family members and friends many from the diaspora were also in attendance having arrived a few days before the meeting/wedding and had been busy and involved in planning and the running around characteristic of arranging a wedding in Kenya. The mother to the groom as well as the groom were also present.


The chairman commenced the meeting with..........you guessed it............. a word of prayer and then got into the meat of the matter at hand. The usual wedding issues revolving around the church, the clothes, the reception venue, the maids of honor, the hairdressing, presiding pastor, wedding rehearsal, flowers, rings etc, etc were swiftly dispensed with and duties suitably allocated and then insensitivity knocked on the door innocently and innocuously and was ushered in!!


The issue of the available cars to make the entourage for the bridal party was one of the agenda items and when the party who had invited us was asked about the availability of cars, she quickly went into a spiel of names of friends who had volunteered their cars all of which turned out to be 4 wheel drive European models.


Now, I consider myself driving a fairly decent car that I have had for the last two months which is in fairly decent shape and is a 4 wheel drive albeit of a Japanese model so imagine me for a moment sitting there hearing all these names of people who were not even present at the meeting all the while assuming that I would be called upon to volunteer my car...........and then BLAM, the issue of cars is over, kaput, finished...............and not a glance in my direction!!


To say that I was flabbagasted would be to put it mildly because it felt like a low blow somewhere around the V of my thighs, a soft, squishy bit of male anatomy usually not mentioned out loud in polite company. "How dare she not expect me to assist with my vehicle" I thought to myself, then it hit me even harder that she did not consider my car worthy of purveying the bottoms of a bridal party.


To consider someone's pride and joy 4 wheel drive car as not a car worthy of carrying a bridal party is surely the height of insensitivity. I might as well have been riding a bicycle since it would have probably elicited some comment or the other.



No comments: