Thursday 1 November 2012

Be aware of what you criticise!!

I had a meeting this morning in the City Centre at 10.00 am. Knowing the unpredictability of Nairobi traffic into the CBD, I left early and was pleasantly surprised to find myself in the City Centre 20 or so minutes later. As I was early for my meeting I decided to pay my phone bills in one of the Customer Care offices in the CBD as it would save me a trip to Westlands later on in the week.

Those who read my blog know that I have an absolute zero tolerance to careless pedestrian behaviour on our roads and many times I have thrown a broadside at them for walking on the roads instead of on the sidewalks, crossing at non-designated places, walking against the flow of traffic amongst others.

Today was my turn because I was behaving exactly the same as those that I usually criticise as I cut a path across the city confidently striding on the road against the flow of traffic, crossing at non-designated places, crossing the road halfway and then waiting for a gap in the traffic  to make a mad dash across and generally making a mockery of the same behaviors that I have so often been critical about.

It dawned on me that the human being is  very fickle, quick to critique others while at the same time failing to see his own shortcomings. I am not sure why I was doing the things I was doing but to me I was doing no wrong. The only justifiable place that I recall in hindsight that required a wide berth was  a construction site along one of the roads where the hoarding had taken up much of the sidewalk leaving little space to walk and therefore forcing one to walk on the road at great inconvenience to motorists I am sure.

I would thus like to convey my apologies to any motorist that I may have inconvenienced today as my behavior was unwarranted, selfish and inexcusable. I don't know what foolishness got into my head but I can assure you that it will not happen again.........until perhaps the next time I am in the CBD!

I will now think twice before criticising anyone else in the future and I hope you do the same too!!





No comments: