Wednesday 10 October 2012

Thank you for why I feel special today:

So today - 10th October - was my birthday and I have never felt so special. I have received birthday messages from my wife and daughters, most of my family members (including an uncle who works in Tanzania and an aunt who lives in Nyeri and who never forget our birthdays), most of my friends and some of my colleagues mainly thanks to the Social media and more specifically Facebook!
This is despite the fact that my birthday over the past 12 or so years has always been celebrated as Moi Day, a day when everyone got time off to relax with their families and friends but which was declared as one of those unnecessary ‘Moi’ baggage holidays and was therefore removed from the Kenyan holiday calendar under the current constitution. It was and will continue to be a normal working day in future unless you elect me President one day (wink, wink!!!) after which I promise to re-instate it!!
Today also marked the day that President Kibaki seemed to break ranks with the Members of Parliament (fondly known by their many haters as MPig’s) and announced that he was not going to approve the amendments to the constitution that the MP(ig)'s had voted for with their stomachs to award themselves a hefty send off package once their parliamentary term comes to an end at the beginning of 2013.
I am from a school of thought that believes that everyone has a job and a role to play within a country, a company or a home and President Kibaki’s role, which he swore before a multitude of Kenyans in August 2010, was to defend the constitution of the country which has been severely compromised by the MP’s in this latest attempt to steal from Kenyans. Therefore for doing his job, I don’t see what the big fuss is all about unless people are just surprised that he is actually capable of doing his job and are congratulating him as a result!! This is akin to congratulating a company CEO for showing a profit in his company after a year’s trading while it is his job to do so otherwise he gets kicked out by the shareholders along with his board in the next AGM.
But I digress because these are all issues that conspired to consign my birthday to the ‘pipa la sahau’ but failed miserably since today’s blog is a reflection of the day that I was born many years ago. The month of October is also a blessed month for many in my immediate family as well as my wife, brother, children and parents since I can count no less 5 birthdays spread right across the month…..............they could be more but short term memory loss has kicked in prematurely!!
My daughters term me as old but save for the wisps of white hair fringing my beard and hair, the protuberant and prominent belly, the eyeglasses, a slight case of short term memory loss (as mentioned) and the occasional twinges of pain in my joints on cold mornings out of the blue, I feel as if nothing has really changed over the years……...........I kid you not!!
My choice of music is still very much my choice as it was in the 1970’s and 80’s, while my choice of movies is still very much in the genre of James Bond early action flicks. I however do seem to command a lot more respect from many members of society, I am (very) occasionally referred to as “mzee” by accident (I believe) and I am sometimes given preference in situations where I expect my father to be given preference and I often wonder why! I assume that all this is as a result of my prominence in society at present which I have earned over the years but not as a result as my advancement in years.
Be that as it may, I have been blessed to have a truly loving and supportive wife, some super adorable girlfriends (whom some refer to as my daughters), a caring understanding family from my mother and father to my sisters and brothers and friends too numerous to remember right from my workmates, to my former classmates and to my golfing buddies in Kenya and around the world.
To all of you who remembered me today on my birthday whether in word, in thought or in prayer, I thank you from the bottom of the heart and may you and your families continue to be blessed in the years to come.
GOD BLESS YOU !!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't know you are a poet too.Congrats.